Home > Archived Newsletter Messages > Midweek News & Recipe!
Archived Newsletter Messages
Midweek News & Recipe!
Sent: July 18, 2007
Hi Stitchers -
I've just updated the New Page in the Photo Gallery of the website - we've been getting lots of great new patterns in and the shop has been hopping. We just got our Shepherds Bush order that I placed at market and there are some really cute and some very pretty kits. Check them and everything else out at
Thank you to everyone who came to the Stitch-in Friday the 13th - we had a lot of fun and a few surprises. The "provided dinner" for $5.00 seemed to be well received and we're considering doing something similar for our regular Saturday All Night Stitches - we were able to have a little more elbow room to stitch - if you were here, please email me and let me know what you think. Congratulations to Wanita Dreadin, Ellen Carver, and Kristi Hughes who all won $13 gift certificates at 6:13, 7:13, and 8:13 pm! At 9:13, everyone present "won" a free pattern from Rosewood Manor. Our next Stitch-in is Saturday, Sept 8th - mark your calendars - more details to follow.
Thanks also to Debbie Douma and Emily Burton who brought homemade dessert Friday night. Debbie picked the blueberries herself for the delicious cobbler she brought and Emily made a current recipe from Southern Living. She used us as guinea pigs and it was wonderful! With a lot of requests for the recipe, here it is:
Blond Texas Sheet Cake
1 package white cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 egg whites
1. Beat together first 5 ingredients at low speed or until blended. Pour batter into a greased 15x10 jelly-roll pan.
2. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 2 hours.
3. Prepare Caramel-Pecan Frosting. Pour immediately over cooked cake in pan, and spread quickly to cover cake.
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1. Place chopped pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan.
2. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil in a 3 1/2 qt saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat, and slowly whisk in buttermilk.
4. Return mixture to heat, and bring to a boil. Pour into a bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla and almond extracts, beating at medium-high speed until smooth (about 1 minute). Stir in pecans. Use immediately.
This cake can be made the day before and is very moist!
Happy Stitching & Cooking - More news later this week!